In a medical emergency dial Triple Zero (000) and ask for Ambulance, you do not need to be a member to use ambulance services in any State or Territory.
Having ambulance cover/membership is a personal choice, and the costs/benefits need to be considered by all individuals before making a decision.
- Confusingly, ambulance costs and cover vary between States and Territories. We are providing a summary of the system in each State and Territory to help you break down the information, along with useful links for first hand information.
For all Australians:
- Medicare does not cover ambulance costs.
- If you have private health insurance it is important to look into what level of ambulance transport is included to decide if additional ambulance cover will benefit you.
- Many funds only cover emergency transport but not non-emergency transport (eg. transfers to another hospital).
- Ambulance cover does not apply while overseas.
- Before travelling interstate become familiar with what your cover can provide.
- Some Health Care Card holders and pensioners are automatically covered free of charge, refer to relevant State or Territory ambulance website to confirm if you are covered.