When Anny Marrett got a phone call on a Monday morning that her son George hadn’t shown up to work she immediately knew something was wrong. “He loved that job, it was his dream job,” she said. The Sydney 29-year-old had died in his sleep at home from a condition that even as a GP Dr Marrett had never heard of. George had suffered since he was 14 from epilepsy, which was being managed with medication. Eight years ago his parents found out he had died from sudden unexpected death in epilepsy ( SUDEP ), when a person with epilepsy dies suddenly and prematurely, and no reason for death is found. There is very little information or awareness of SUDEP, yet more people die from it in Australia than from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). “I’m a GP but I hadn’t heard of the condition, I’m ashamed to say,” […]